Friday, August 18, 2006

Paddling- Spirit & Speed

Went for a paddle on Kal Lake yesterday, mostly along the east shoreline. It was hot and there were a lot of boats on the water. It's a beautiful lake at any speed, but I couldn't help thinking I was seeing a bit more of it, and in a different way, than those moving at 30 or 40 mph.

What's the relationship between speed and a healthy soul? I know I was renewed, and am sure everyone on the water was renewed in some measure. I like fast boats and water skiing too. But the fun of speed seems to touch a different part of my spirit than the peace of slow. Maybe we need both.

Last week I again heard the story of the African explorers who relentlessly pushed their native crew through the jungle for several days, until one morning the crew refused to move. When questioned, the crew explained they had been going so quickly for so many days that they needed to wait for their souls to catch up to their bodies.

So I'm asking myself, and you, how many days would you need to sit still before your soul caught up with your body?

2 Comments:

At 1:33 p.m., Blogger marja said...

I think you need to try to let your soul catch up every day. It doesn't always happen. I try every morning, and it happens only once in a while, depending on where my life is at, what is busying my mind, and how much I need and want God at the time.

But we need to try every day, at least for a while.

 
At 11:33 a.m., Blogger Tim Chesterton said...

That's a great story, Daren; thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home